Tuesday, September 28, 2010

What Is Love?


Is love learned or a conscience choice?

I had a discussion with 2 of my friends this week. 1 brought up the topic of love and said "I don't believe that people 'Fall in Love.' That is a bunch of %#&@$!. People chose who they want to be with and fall in love with."

I asked her "how can you say that, people do catch feelings and get their feelings hurt, if it is a choice, explain that?"

She explained it to smoking: "most people who smoke for the first time don't like the taste of it, and it takes more than a few times to get addicted, but keep on smoking until they like it or get addicted to it, they chose to smoke."

I think that was a bad example, but I can say that I can get at what she is saying. I was at dinner with another friend and she says "I don't like coffee, I can't stand the taste." I told her "I was the same way, but I kept on drinking it and now I love it. Hmmm, try this, have 1 cup for about a week, then you will start to like it, it is an acquired taste."

Is love an acquired taste? Could you possibly start loving someone if you chose to be in a romantic relationship with them long enough? Could you learn to love them? Is this why male and female platonic relationships don't last, because either the guy or the girl starts to "love" the other person.

Something to think about, what do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment