Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Twitter, Facebook, Myspace, Oh My!!!


This is really tricky. Facebook, twitter, and other online communities opens people up to a world of other people. It has it’s pros and cons. 

For example, the pros with Facebook is that I can get in contact with old friends and communicated with my close friends and family quickly and effectively. I can post pictures of me and my boys and share with all my friends and family all at once. If something special goes on in my life, I can share. I can also see what is going on with my other friends and family as well. I can just look at their page and see what they have been posting and not necessarily have to contact them to see if they are doing well.

The cons to that is that people know everything. If you are not careful about making your page private or who you save as friend, you are opening your private life up to the public. Also, getting reacquainted with old friends means old boyfriends or girlfriends or people you have dated. In an instant it can get a little messy.
When I was married, my wife was addicted to Facebook. Every time I turned around she was commenting on someone’s picture, post, or playing some game. It caused a strain on our relationship in a few ways. I come home from working 10-12 hours and she is not paying me any attention and her face is “all up in” the computer screen. I noticed that she left and yes, she left her facebook page up. One of her “old” friends hit “her”/me up. This guy was someone my wife had sex with in the past. He was definitely see if the door was still open for him to “hit that” again. Wow, and he knows that my wife is married, no respect. That made me look at facebook very differently. 

I actually stumbled upon my ex-wife’s twitter page. She had me begging to get back with me, telling me that she loved me and wanted me. When I went to her twitter page, she is flirting with several men having explicit sexual dialogue. I also noticed messages like “why didn’t you call me or text me back?” That let me know that this was more than just an online relationship. Was she really wanting to get back to me? Was twitter 100% entertainment? It is hard to tell. 

How would you feel if you saw your lover online talking to the opposite sex, flirting, having sexual conversations? How would you feel if your significant other tweeted about the things they love about sex? For example, I see tweets all the time that says “sex is the best when…” Do you want the “world” to know what your lover enjoys? How do you feel about that?

Facebook, Twitter, and Myspace may be innocent and not cheating may be involved…  why leave that up to suspicion and risk your relationship? The short term gratification and pleasure from flirting online worth causing problems with the person you love and spend so much time with?

No comments:

Post a Comment